THE ADVENTURES OF A FAIRY TALE PRINCESS AND HER FROG PRINCE

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Terror

Have you ever had an experience in your life that changes you?  Something that totally alters the way you view the world, and even how you view yourself?  I had an experience like that this past Saturday.
The bank where I work was robbed.
I have never experienced fear like that before.  The sheer terror you feel when you see a man in a super scary mask running at the door to your place of work, not knowing what is going to happen to you or if you'll ever be able to tell your loved ones "I love you" again... it is indescribable.
I feel as though I have been permanently altered, as though that horrible man robbed me of so much more than just money.  I feel anxious, loud noises make me jump and my heart race, the simple act of driving up to the place where I spend 40 hours of my week ties my stomach in knots, I have trouble sleeping and when I do sleep, that masked face haunts my dreams.
Thankfully they caught the guy.  If you're interested, you can read the press release from the Sheriff's website here.
It's been hard feeling like I'll never be normal again.  It's been hard because I don't really have anyone to talk to about it... unless you've been through something like that, you just don't understand.  It's been hard dealing with the random breakdowns - crying over nothing, having to pull over to the side of the road because you realize the car in front of you looks like the getaway car, snapping at customers because they ask if the guy stole their money... It will get better.  I know it will.  Each day seems to get incrementally easier to function.  Someday I will be okay again, but not today.

4 comments:

Brittany said...

Oh my gosh Kim! I can't imagine... I'm glad you're okay!

*hugs and prayers*

Let me know if there's anything I can do that might help in even the teeniest tiniest way...

*more hugs and prayers*

Shay said...

Holy cow Kim, I cannot even imagine. I am really sorry you went through that and have to deal with the emotional consequences:-( Love you sweet cousin!

Amy said...

oh my goodness! I can't even imagine, but so happy you're okay. Please feel free to come over if you need to talk about it. I'm a pretty good listener. Hope you start feeling better!

Caitlinp said...

Oh boy! That's so scary. It will get better, but you really probably won't be the same. Maybe a little more cautious or suspicious. Your ability to trust others will come back. My family and I were mugged with a gun in Louisianna a long time ago. It was terrifying and I would shake just thinking about it. Then I thought of those men and how messed up their lives were to get to that point. I felt sorry for them and that made it easier to forgive them. That really helped. It will come, but you don't have to push it. Love you, sweet girl. (And if I could, I kick the guy in the teeth.)